A Texas visual art teacher travels to Japan in June 2006 through the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund Program. Learn with the students of his advanced art class as Mr. Lowke experiences the culture of the East.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Homestay


When you just don't think a trip can get any better, then you go have a homestay. I left Saturday morning to go stay with the Wakabayashi family. Kiyoshi (father) came to pick me up at the Itabashi-ku city ward offices. We walked to the train station and went across Itabashi to his home that he shares with his wife Sachie. After introductions (not long because they only speak Japanese, Sachie made a wonderful lunch of tempura. I think her goal for the weeked was to keep the large American full of food. She did a GREAT job of that. Around lunch time, the rest of the family came by, Kumiko (daughter who speaks ENGLISH!!!!!!!), her kids Kensho (4 yrs.), Nanoko (8yrs.) and her husband Eisuke. We all had lunch together and then Kiyoshi, Kumiko and the kids took me out to a local temple to get my temple book signed. It was a small neighborhood temple and they really catered to us. It was also right next door to Kensho's kindergarten. That was fun to see. When we had seen the temple, we went by Kumiko's father-in-law's stationery store. Kensho is the only grandson out of six grandkids, so he is the apple of his grandparent's eye. He got some colored pencils to use later and we were off the the local mall.
Hadn't been to one of these yet. Quite a place. Five stories of shopping and LOTS of bicycles out front. We cruised the food aisles and ended up in housewares so they could buy a little something for my family. I managed to get them to let me buy ice cream. I am still not sure exactly what rapone cream is, but it was bright blue and tasted slightly of bubble gum.
Once back home, it was time for dress up. Sachie had eyed me at the reception evidently and had gotten me a yomata to wear (summer kimono). it fit great as you can see and she said and I quote "yomata looks better on man with extra tummy." Yeah. Unfortunately that is me. The big American guy. Embrace it and love it I guess. I LOVE my yomata and it was VERY Kind of them to think of me.
Next came Sachie preparing dinner. This woman is a serious cook and everything she made was wonderful. They had invited the rest of the family over for make yourself sushi (she saw I liked sushi at the reception) and birthday cake as it was Sachie's birthday. She got a bento box from Kiyoshi to eat for her birthday. It was a GREAT family party and reminded me of being home with my group. It was loud and fun and LOTS of food! We had a great time eating codfish, octopus, salmon etc... sushi. After dinner, we watched world cup soccer in Japanese along with the news. Then it was off to bed.
I slept in a traditional Japanese room with tatami mats and futon. It was a nice night and sleeping on a futon is not too bad. I get another chance we we visit the Hakone valley to stay in a roykan (traditional Japanese inn and hot springs).
Sunday morning was very quiet and we got up around 8 am. I took a shower which was an experience as a Japanese shower is out in the room. No stall or tub, the water just drains into the floor. You also rinse, turn off the water, soap and shave and then rinse again. Very economical and ecology minded. I didn't even have to wear different shoes like you do when you go to the toilet which is in a seperate place. Cleanliness big time folks!
Breakfast was traditional. Rice, miso soup with tofu, salmon, sweet Japanese egg, vegetable with fried fish flakes and seaweed with green tea. Once breakfast was over, Kiyoshi took me into the Western-style living room lined with book cases and reveal that they were filled with art books of Japanese and Western art! We listened to music and looked at art books until all the grandkids and Kumiko returned. Lunch was okonomi-yaki (favorite burned pancake) which was a Japanese-style pancake. The mixture had octopus or shrimp or korean hot pork, eggs, batter and other ingredients which was placed on a griddle in the middle of the table. Once it was done, you placed it on your small plate and brushed a sauce on it that tasted like barbecue. This was then topped with fried fish flakes, seaweed crushed and mayonaisse. YUMMY!!!!! We visited for a while after lunch and then it was time to come back the the Itabashi Center Hotel. The whole group brought me back to the hotel and said "goodbye." I had a FANTASTIC time with the Wakabayashi family and hope they will take my invitation to visit Texas and the Lowke's in America. They were warm, caring and accepting me into their home and I am very grateful for their kindness and hospitality.
Tomorrow we move on to the ryokan in the Hakone valley. I will be without internet access for a couple of days, so those of you in Leander, Flower Mound and Corpus, don't worry - no email, skype or blog for a couple of days til I return to Tokyo. Someone will call you if I drown in the hot springs or fall off Mount Fuji, I promise. My Japan adventure is drawing to a rapid close and while I am sad at that thought, I miss everyone in Texas and am about ready to come home. Fire up the fajitas Dad and let's tube the Frio!!!

Sayanora,
Timsan