A Texas visual art teacher travels to Japan in June 2006 through the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund Program. Learn with the students of his advanced art class as Mr. Lowke experiences the culture of the East.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Longest Day - the sequel and Home!!!!


I have time traveled today. I began in Tokyo with breakfast and then an outing to Akasusa one last time. You know how you hear about the Japanese getting pushed and packed into subway cars? We thought it was just an urban myth until we experienced it this morning. During rush hour, everyone politely lines up in front of the subway car door, then the packed train rolls in and those that need to get off roll out in a sort of human wave. Those in line to get in, are then rolled in a new human wave in the door until no one else can possibly fit, then the train guy in white gloves comes and ever so gently pushes about two more people in and manually closes the door. Personal space has NO meaning and there is no need to hold a grip or rail because you are packed sooooo tight that you just sort of sway against the businessman, the grandmother out for shopping and the student going to class. I know because I experienced it first hand on my last day. In fact, our party of four got separated because two of us were the LAST two in one subway car and and the other two were mashed against the glass on the next incoming train. Definitely only a once in a life-time experience for me. We successfully ended up at the end of the Ginza line in Akasusa for shopping, one last temple hop and one last hundred yen store!
Off to the Narita airport - let's just say about a bazillion hours and two planes, two customs checks, two immigration checks and three airports, I was home! I arrived in Austin 25 minutes after I left Tokyo! Pretty neat huh?!?
Love to hear from all of you - thanks for following along with me. I will keep you posted on the next steps with my follow-on plan.
Timsan OUT!